Tuesday 9 February 2010

Soviet Space Dogs!


I'm not sure if I've actually posted this here before, but this is one of my favourite pics from the last couple of years, mostly because of the story behind it. These were all of the dogs sent into low Earth orbit by the Russian Space Program in the late 1950's. I've taken artistic liberties with their looks of course! I've always been fascinated by the space dogs; Laika of course is the most famous, actually being sent to into space but dying before she returned to Earth. At least 4 of the other dogs died due to technical failures (their capsules blowing up, etc). I'm planning on eventually drawing a book about the space dogs, or at least based on them. For now, this is my tribute to them. Read more about them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails